Mathematics is being used more increasingly in other subject areas such as Social Studies, Science and Technology. Children need to master mathematical concepts and skills to find answers to questions and problems which arise in everyday life. Children need to acquire and develop knowledge of shapes and measures, the ability to calculate and to see and use relationships. Mathematics can be a means whereby children are helped to think for themselves as they learn through their own activities and enjoy what they are
doing. Mathematics can help develop an inquiring mind.
To assist pupils to:
- Understand and use mathematical language and symbols.
- See patterns and relationships in math and in their environment.
- Find common elements among Mathematical concepts.
- Search for, recognize and generate mathematical ideas.
- Appreciate the role and application of mathematics in their daily activities.
- Understand the structure and organization of mathematics while developing proficiency in its processes and operations.