The Interim Language Arts Standards for Primary Schools was developed to address the shortcomings of the present curriculum. Based on its approach, the present curriculum is deemed vague as concepts are not explicitly stated and clearly defined. It lacks scope and sequence of concepts and does not contain sufficient content to meet the needs of primary school students. Additionally, its underlying philosophy and approach are not in sync with students’ needs and our cultural and social context. Considering the fact that English is a Second Language for many students, varied forms of dialect are predominantly used in the homes and during playtime. Hence there is no standard form.
The main objectives of this document are to:
- stipulate the standards that students should master in specific grade levels
- provide an insight into the standards for previous and successive grades
- demonstrate that the teaching of Language Arts is spiral
- standardize the Language Arts content for each grade level and all primary schools within the Federation of St. Kitts and Nevis
- facilitate smooth movement of teachers and students among schools within the Federation of St. Kitts and Nevis.