The study of science provides the knowledge and skills which are intended to improve the quality of living. An understanding of science is central to young citizens’ preparedness for life in modern society. It empowers individuals to engage in public discussions on issues related to science and technology; and to be critical consumers of scientific information related to everyday life. Integrated Science brings together the everyday context in which science operates. It encompasses biology, chemistry, physics, earth science, environmental science and technology.
This syllabus aims to:
- develop scientifically and technologically literate students who will engage in public discussions on issues related to these fields;
- use scientific knowledge and principles in everyday life situations;
- increase awareness of the importance of living in harmony with the environment and appreciate the need to preserve the natural environment;
- design and evaluate scientific inquiry;
- interpret data and evidence scientifically;
- develop critical thinking, problem-solving and collaborative skills;
- develop competencies that will enable students to make appropriate decisions regarding health, safety and other everyday life problems; and,
- Integrate information, communication and technological tools and skills.