Office Administration is a Business Education subject concerned with the study of administrative principles, policies, procedures and technological competencies governing the modern office environment. The content and teaching strategies used should therefore reflect current trends in the office. This Office Administration syllabus is designed to provide students with the knowledge, skills and attitudes to function effectively within a modern office environment. The syllabus adopts a practical approach aimed at equipping students with the technical and professional skills to perform effectively as clerical and administrative support personnel within an organization. The syllabus seeks to instill tenets of the Ideal Caribbean Person as articulated by the CARICOM Caribbean Education Task Force (CTF) and adopted by the CARICOM Heads of Government at their 18th Summit. To this end the syllabus contains objectives and content intended to nurture and improve students’ social responsibility, personal management skills and positive work ethic. In addition, in keeping with the UNESCO Pillars of Learning, on completion of this course of study students will learn to know, to be, to do, and to live together.
The syllabus aims to:
1. provide students with the knowledge, skills attitudes and competencies to function in the modern office environment;
2. develop awareness of the principles, policies, procedures and technological competencies involved in office administration;
3. develop technical, planning, organizing, management and problem-solving skills necessary for functioning in a modern office
4. provide students with the capability to adapt to changes that impact the business environment;
5. help students appreciate the wide range of attitudes, attributes and behaviors necessary for success and advancement in the
world of work;
6. lay the foundation for career development and further studies in the business field.